retailu and One Voice One Team formed a strategic partnership to help today’s youth, who are tomorrow’s leaders.
We believe we must continue to support our youth with the employability skills required to secure their first job and overcome the biases and barriers that they will inevitably face to experience success. This program will allow retailers to provide job opportunities for marginalized youth and give them access to be involved in the workforce in a part-time capacity. One Voice One Team Youth Leadership Organization has been empowering youth leadership programs for over 15 years. They have been delivering programming in middle and high schools, as well as low-income neighborhoods. This partnership will create a pipeline of youth ready for the workforce and opportunities to meet directly with retail hiring managers. Retailers have an opportunity to sponsor these programs and gain access to a candidate pool.
Included in this course are four mastermind video lessons. Meet our panel of retail experts, who donated their time to share their expertise.
- Ron Thurston: Former Vice President of Intermix and author of retail pride – Why retail is a prideful career
- Solange Strom: Founder and Former CEO L’Ocitanne Canada – Service Excellence
- Meghan Houle: Retail leader and Executive Recruiter Bower group and founder of Pivot with Purpose podcast – How to ace your interview and put your best assets forwards
- Darlene Huff: Former country manager at Disney & Davids Bridal, Canada – How to be a good team player.
Course Learning Objectives include:
- What makes you a high performer versus a middle-of-the-road employee.
- How to be a desirable team player by adding value to the team, like multi-tasking and taking on additional responsibilities.
- Dressing the part – tips to being prepared the night before your shift and why dress code matters.
- Understand what schedule etiquette means and why it matters.
- Why not adhering to schedule practices can cost you your job.
- Understand the impact of not managing your schedule correctly.
- Why receiving feedback is a positive thing.
- How to lower your defenses and be open.
- And provide feedback positively to your peers so that you can overcome conflict easily.
One Voice One Team is a non-profit registered charity within Ontario and works across Canada. Orlando Bowen, their Executive Director, was a former CFL player and founded One Voice One Team after an incident that transformed his life forever. He was subject to racial profiling by two undercover police officers. LEARN MORE
RetailU is Incorporated in Ontario and provides affordable online and live leadership training across Canada. Retailu’s was founded by April Sabral, former Vice President of DAVIDsTEA, to provide affordable leadership training to the retail industry.
How it works:
Retailers can sponsor teens to attend the OVOT and retailu courses. Once a teen has completed the program they will be interviewed by the OVOT and approved for internship. Once they are approved, the retailer can then interview any graduating candidate that meets the program requirements as a potential employment experience. This will provide graduates with a job opportunity while helping retailers find first-time job seekers with some formal retail and leadership training.
The minimum Sponsorship is $7500, which allows 45 youth to attend. Retailers will have recognition on all social and programing.
Learn more email firstname.lastname@example.org